Pascal's Terminator was a big mistake.
Skybuck Flying
2014-04-30 14:50:50 UTC
Hello,

Pascal lines must look as follows:

Statement1;
Statement2;
Statement3;

The ";" terminator was a big mistake in pascal's language design.

Instead the default should be to assume that a statement is on a new
line/seperate line by default.

The end of line terminator should have been used instead.

The ";" should have been a continue marker to indicate that multiple lines
belong to a single statement.

Now Pascal programmers are stuck with fiddling around with the ";"
terminator... and having to add it to each line, which wastes enormous
ammounts of time during editing and debugging because this tiny little
terminator was forgotten.

My recommendation for a future pascal language design is to remove the ";"
terminator and instead rely on line breaks/new lines and such to indicate
end of statement on a single line.

And thus use ";" for multi-line-statements.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Aaron Sawyer
2014-04-30 18:08:07 UTC
Post by Skybuck Flying
Hello,
[...]
Please have read any of the Pascal language standards documents before
making incorrect assertions. The ';' is a separator between statements
in a 'statement-sequence'; it is not a statement terminator.

Start with
The Programming Language Pascal: 1973 revised edition
by Niklaus Wirth

Then look at
ISO/IEC 7185:1990
Programming Language Pascal
and
ANSI/IEEE770X3.160-1989, ISO/IEC 10206:1991
Programming Language Extended Pascal

all are viewable at
http://pascal-central.com/standards.html

The remainder of your posting has no merit.
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.
2014-04-30 21:02:35 UTC
Post by Aaron Sawyer
Post by Skybuck Flying
[...]
Don't pay no mind to him. A mind is a terrible thing to waste and by the
looks of it, he's been wasting away!

Jamie
Skybuck Flying

Why you write crap like this ? Is your mind perhaps rotting ?
Skybuck Flying
2014-04-30 23:53:07 UTC
Post by Skybuck Flying
[...]

I wrote a nice message, but then my system suddenly froze up. I suspect
cuda/nvidia graphics driver issue or perhaps it was something else.

Anyway I wrote something in the lines of:

"Is that document a joke ?"

It uses ";" in a strange way, furthermore I don't think you were capable of
finding the section that describes the ";" simply because it doesn't seem to
exist or very vaguely.

"
The remainder of your posting has no merit.
"

For more reaction on this I ll point you to my youtube video which I am
uploading right now to show what I typed lol... a picture may have
sufficed... but video kinda nice too.

Plus how windows live mail seemed to recover/protect against it.

Anyway.

Delphi is very inconsistent as I wrote in that part of the posting which is
an important part.

if blabla then
blablabla
else
blablabla;

Notice how the top does not require the ";".

If there is one thing I hate it's inconsistencies in a computer language.

And that is a prime example.

At least python has now somewhat helped me to understand more complex
constructs in Delphi which even confused Delphi's formatter which is another
strong argument/proof that something fishy is going on with pascal's
language design:

if blablabla then
blablabla
else if more blablabla then
blablablabla
else if more blablable then
blablabla;

^ I haven't tried it yet but I would be curious how different source
beautifiers handle this.

Will it ident or not ?

Your agument about seperator versus terminator is kinda weak... it's
basically same thing.

; would allow multiple statements on a single line which is kinda odd and
rare...

except for routine parameters... a different solution for that would be
needed or perhaps it can be the exception.

Anyway as I wrote in the youtube video.

Python disagrees with you, not going to repeat here why.

Also write 1000 lines of python code and then convert it to Delphi code and
I am sure you will agree with me that ";" is annoying and costing you lot's
of money.

It could take up as much as 1 hour just to fix all the missing ";"

That's 3 seconds per ";" to find, navigate and type it in.

Big time waster for sure.

It's late I am tired, slightly unannoyed about the freeze up... and slightly
annoyed with you as well and even with that document lol... though it's a
little bit interesting so thanks for that.

I leave you now with two youtube videos to show the freeze and the recovery:

^ Weird how outlook express does not recognize that second link as a link oh
well.

Weirdness all around this posting it seems.

I am fox mulder, specializing in weirdness.

I end with:

Delphi needs new experimental language focussed at typing efficiency, period
!

(Also reading/scrolling efficiency)

It can be backwards compatible and futuristic at the same time.

If only Delphi-engineers would know how to use a "switch/if" statement lol.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Skybuck Flying
2014-05-01 00:07:07 UTC
Skybuck Flying
2014-05-01 00:48:09 UTC
Hmm this is a little bit interesting:

It's starting to seem that about at the same time my computer frooze,
computer problems occured at an airport on other side of planet:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27225649

This just shows how important it is to have as much exact times as possible.

Time on image was 2 hours off, camera time not accurate.

Not sure exactly when it all happened.

I would not be surprised if the planet got hit by some strange electric
wave.

Then again it could just be a super coincidence ;)

Don't ya just love the weird and the bizar ?! ;)

I do worry about though about computers suddenly freaking out.

My advice to human beings: don't trust your life on them.

Bye,
Skybuck.
coyo
That's actually very helpful! *searches for NZB files*
Coyo
2014-06-28 20:55:22 UTC
Post by Aaron Sawyer
Post by Skybuck Flying
My recommendation for a future pascal language design is to remove the ";"
terminator and instead rely on line breaks/new lines and such to indicate
end of statement on a single line.
Please have read any of the Pascal language standards documents before
making incorrect assertions. The ';' is a separator between statements
in a 'statement-sequence'; it is not a statement terminator.
Start with
The Programming Language Pascal: 1973 revised edition
by Niklaus Wirth
Then look at
ISO/IEC 7185:1990
Programming Language Pascal
and
ANSI/IEEE770X3.160-1989, ISO/IEC 10206:1991
Programming Language Extended Pascal
all are viewable at
http://pascal-central.com/standards.html
I was going to say, one of the things I love most about Pascal is the
lack of the semicolon as a line terminator. This post confused me.

"Isn't that a central design feature?" But of course it was.

Silly person is silly.